Get a Whiter Smile Easily
It's just natural that smiles change over the years, but is the darkening, yellowing and staining of tooth enamel irreversible? Your professional team at North Rivers Dental Associates in North Charleston, SC would tell you that you can have a noticeably brighter smile with safe and effective teeth whitening. Done in the office in about an hour, or more gradually at home, dentist-supervised whitening brightens and rejuvenates dull, yellow enamel. Here are more details.
The origin of stains
Deep, hard to treat intrinsic dental stains come from oral trauma, some prescription medications or medical treatments. Easier to treat extrinsic stains respond well to teeth whitening processes in North Charleston. This surface discoloration involving only the outer enamel and not the second tooth layer, called dentin, comes from:
- Intensely-colored foods and beverages
- Tobacco--either cigarettes or the smokeless variety
- Acidic foods which soften enamel, making it more susceptible to stains
- Poor oral hygiene habits
So as organic residues accumulate in the calcified matrix of tooth enamel, teeth darken and exhibit areas of discoloration. Just think about the brown stains on the front teeth of smokers. Fortunately, teeth whitening can help.
The whitening process
When you come to North Rivers Dental Associates for a cosmetic dentistry consultation, your dentist will examine your teeth and gums, looking for any signs of decay or periodontal diseases. These conditions would be addressed first before any whitening treatments.
However, if all is well, you can begin whitening right away. There are two options:
- In-office whitening which takes about an hour right in the dental chair
- At-home whitening which uses custom-fitted trays to apply the hydrogen peroxide gel over the course of a week
Either method brightens tooth color by up to 10 shades with little to no dental or gingival sensitivity.
Staying bright and white
Your smile can remain white and sparkling indefinitely if you:
- Limit dark foods and drinks
- Brush twice a day and floss daily
- Get six-month cleanings, examinations and whitening touch-ups at North Rivers Dental Associates
- Eliminate all tobacco usage
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that most people would like to have brighter smiles. Are you one of them? Why not contact North Rivers Dental Associates in North Charleston, SC for more details? Call (843) 553-7827.